Our Legacy Our Tomorrow
September 2015 marks the launch of the Shevchenko Foundation's Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign, a $20 million capital fundraising campaign in support of the advancement of a flourishing Ukrainian community for the enrichment of Canada.
Our Legacy Our Tomorrow is the first major capital fundraising campaign in the Shevchenko Foundation's history, helping to invigorate the Foundation as Canada's foremost funding body in support of Ukrainian Canadian Arts, Heritage, Education and Community Development for all Canadians.
"Our goal is to build upon the significant investments made by our parents and grandparents to support the Shevchenko Foundation's goal of ensuring the continued ability of the Foundation to make strategic, relevant and sustainable investments in support of high-quality projects creating or popularizing Ukrainian culture. Thanks to generous and early support from our community, we are confident in our ability to achieve our goal"
- Andrew Hladyshevsky, Q.C.
President, Shevchenko Foundation and Chair, Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign
Community leaders from multiple provinces have helped the Shevchenko Foundation's Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign develop its campaign strategy and make connections and introductions to new community members who are passionate about their Ukrainian culture and heritage. At the heart of the Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign is the bringing together of people who care about preserving and promoting Ukrainian Canadian cultural heritage.
The Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign offers opportunities for donors to name Pillars, Funds, and Programs at the national and provincial level. Individuals or families can choose to honour their personal or families' legacies through a naming opportunity. With your support, and the support of the entire community, we will achieve the campaign goal and grow the Shevchenko Foundation for the benefit of future generations of Ukrainian Canadians and the preservation of our family's legacies.
Message From the Honorary Co-Chair
As the preeminent Ukrainian philanthropic body in Canada, the Shevchenko Foundation contributes to the strength of Ukrainian identity and helps shape Canada into a home for diverse and vibrant communities, a benefit to all Canadians.
The Foundation makes transformational investments in the arts, culture, education, and community development, allowing all Canadians to enjoy the richness of Ukrainian culture.
The Shevchenko Foundation’s reputation of professionalism and prominent role in the community is recognized by thousands of individual donors and supporters for 50 years and by the Canadian government, entrusting the Foundation in the management of the Canadian First World War Internment Recognition Fund’s $10 million endowment.
By giving to the Shevchenko Foundation you are funding many initiatives by artists, educators, performers, community organization and cultural associations that together make a difference in the lives of all Canadians and Ukrainians. I encourage you to join me in supporting this crucial work and in building a sustainable future for our community.
- James C. Temerty, C.M.
Honorary Co-Chair, Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign
Please Support the
Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign
We are counting on you to make this campaign a reality. We believe the Shevchenko Foundation's strong and capable supporters, and all Canadians who celebrate diversity, will join together to ensure the community's bright and sustainable future. Your support of the Our Legacy Our Tomorrow Campaign will make a lasting impact in the community.
Message from the President
When I joined the Board of the Shevchenko Foundation 20 years ago, I envisioned a philanthropic institution that would be in a position to support the countless inspirational initiatives that fuel our growth and continued development as a community. Being a great believer in the community and its creative capacity, my mission has also been to share its legacy and culture with all Canadians.
The community has surpassed my expectations. As the needs continue to evolve, we must now seize the opportunity to propel our talent to greater heights.
As a result, the Shevchenko Foundation is embarking on a very ambitious campaign to inspire the Ukrainian cultural scene. I believe the time to act is now! I invite you to join me!
- Andriy Hladyshevsky, Q.C.
President of the Shevchenko Foundation
Campaign Leadership Team
- His Grace Metropolitan Lawrence, Archbishop of Winnipeg, Metropolitan for Ukrainian Catholics of Canada
- His Eminence Metropolitan Yurij, Archbishop of Winnipeg and the Central Eparchy, Metropolitan of Canada, Primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
- Senator the Hon. A. Raynell Andreychuk, Senate of Canada
- The Hon. Ed Stelmach, 13th Premier of Alberta
- James C. Temerty, C.M., Chairman, Northland Power
- Ian O. Ihnatowycz, President and CEO, First Generation Capital Inc.
- Dr. Peter Savaryn, C.M., Q.C., Chancellor Emeritus, University of Alberta
- Zena Kossar, Co-Founder, Toronto International Caravan
- Delores Buka-Huculak, Director, The Huculak Foundation
- George Myhal, Senior Managing Partner, Brookfield
- Boris Horodynsky, President, Horodynsky Farms
- Drs. Peter and Doris Kule, Canadian Philanthropists, Visionaries, and Community Leaders
- Dr. Lubomyr Romankiw, IBM Research Fellow, IBM Inc.
- Lubomyr Huculak, Honorary Consul, Honorary Consulate of Ukraine in Vancouver
- Mel Zajac, C.M., Chairman, The Mel Jr. & Marty Zajac Foundation
- Dr. Lindy Ledohowski, Writer, Editor, Educator, and Co-Founder of EssayJack
- The Hon. Benjamin Hewak, Retired Chief Justice, The Court of Queen's Bench, Manitoba
- Phillip Crawley, Publisher and CEO, The Globe and Mail
- Elsie Kawulych, C.M, A.O.E., Community Leader
- Edward Lysyk , Lawyer and Community Leader
- Dr. George Huculak, Family Physician, Medical Family Practice at Byron Street Medical Centre; and Director, The Huculak Foundation
- Nadja Piatka, President and CEO, Nadja Foods; Motivational Speaker; Best Selling Author; and Founder, Ultimate Girls Getaway
- The Hon. Ken Krawetz, Retired MLA, Canora - Pelly (SK)
- Her Honour the Hon. Janice C. Filmon, C.M., O.M., Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba
- Her Honour the Hon. Vaughn Solomon Schofield, SOM, SVM, Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan
- Gene Zwozdesky, 12th Speaker, Legislative Assembly of Alberta
- Yvan Baker, MPP, Etobicoke Centre (ON)
- The Hon. Donna Cansfield, Retired MPP, Etobicoke Centre (ON)
- Andrew Hladyshevsky, Q.C., Partner, Dentons Canada LLP; and President, Shevchenko Foundation
- David Chucko, CPA, CA, Audit and Assurance Group Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP; and Investment Committee Member, Shevchenko Foundation
- Wallace Shoemay, CPA, CA, Retired Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP; and Investment Committee Chair, Shevchenko Foundation
- Audrey Sojonky, Community Leader
- Andy Stashuk, CIM, VP and Portfolio Manager, RBC Dominion Securities
- Gordon Gordey, CEO, Dancemaker; Stage Director, GoCreative; and Board Director, Shevchenko Foundation
- Mike Hantzsch, Senior VP, Canada, Meritage Midstream
- Michael Mysak, Partner, Bennett Jones Calgary
- Dr. Tania Mysak, Clinical Practice Manager, Alberta Heath Services, University of Alberta
- Dr. Roman Petryshyn, Former Director, Ukrainian Resource and Development Centre, MacEwan University; and Past President, Shevchenko Foundation
- John Piasta, Partner, Bennett Jones Calgary
- Bohdan Romaniuk, Chairman, Acceleware Ltd.
- Tania Willumsen, President, Willumsen Ventures Inc.; and Investment Committee Member, Shevchenko Foundation
- Adrian Boyko, Regional Sales Manager, Equitable Life; and Board Director, Shevchenko Foundation
- Michael Derbowka, Partner, Cuelenaere Kendall Katzman & Watson
- Wayne Hydeman, Hydeman Property Management
- David Lalach, Assoc. Investment Advisor, Richardson GMP
- Fred Ozirney, Coordinator, Saskatoon Regional Intersectoral Committee
- Tom Plishka, CPA, CA, Risk Partner, MNP LLP
- John Rozdilsky, Lawyer, Rozdilsky Law
- Orest Warnyca, Manager, Selo Gardens
- Mike Werezak, Founder, Werezak’s Pharmacy
- Bill Balan, Vice-President (Finance, Admin. & CAO), University of Winnipeg
- Tom Bryk, President & CEO, Cambrian Credit Union
- Rt. Rev. Msgr. Mitrat Michael J. Buyachok
- Eugene Hyworon, Secretary Treasurer, InfoTech Inc.
- Anne Rusnak, Professor Emeritus, University of Winnipeg
- Dr. Mark Semchyshyn, Partner, Northgate Dental
- John Stefaniuk, Lawyer, Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP
- Lesia Szwaluk, Executive Director, Shevchenko Foundation
- Boris Balan, VP, Europe, Northland Power; and VP, Shevchenko Foundation
- Roman Dubczak, Managing Director, Head of Equity Markets, CIBC World Markets Inc.
- Anna Kisil, President, Golden Lion
- Lidia Narozniak, Board Director, Shevchenko Foundation
- Zenon Poticzny, President, Shelton Petroleum; and President, Ukrainian Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Orysia Sushko, C.M., President, World Federation of Ukrainian Women's Organizations
- Andrey Tarasiuk, Producer, Pleiades Theatre
- Irene Stayshyn, Community Leader
- William Petruck, President, FUNDING matters inc.